The weather in Westchester, NY keeps changing and getting worse by the day. Tropical storms, Nor’easters, and severe thunderstorms have deluged the county with higher intensity and frequency.
At ASZ International, Inc., we recommend checking your area to find out if it is in a flood zone and taking the necessary safety and precautionary measures to lessen the effects caused by floods on residential homes and business premises. Here is what to do if you find out that you live in a flood-prone area.
- If you are under a flood warning, evacuate and find shelter immediately.
- Do not try to drive or walk through flooded waters and keep off bridges with fast-moving waters.
- Determine how you can stay safe based on the type of flooding. You can evacuate, move to higher grounds, or stay where you are till help comes.
- If flash floods are a risk in your area, monitor potential signs like heavy rains and stay up to date with the weather forecast.
- Gather supplies in case you need to leave the house immediately while keeping in mind the unique needs for every occupant in that house, like medication and pet food. Have external phone batteries and other critical equipment.
- Keep relevant and essential documents in a safe, waterproof container and create a password for digital copies.
- If you have enough time, move your property, including valuables, to safer areas. Declutter all gutters and drains.
- Depending on where you are and the effects and warnings provided by the government, determine a safe area to go or prepare an emergency exit plan for floods.
- If you have been told to evacuate, don’t hesitate or waste too much time packing. Do so immediately.
- If your vehicle is trapped in moving water, stay inside, but if the water is rising inside, seek refuge through the roof.
Another important thing on your things-to-do before flooding begins is to purchase flood insurance. Floods are not covered under homeowners’ insurance; therefore, it’s prudent that you have this separate.
In case you feel stranded or need further clarification on how to stay safe from floods, speak to ASZ International, Inc., and we will answer all your questions.